Forbes is back with its list of 100 highest-paid athletes and some major shuffles have taken place in this 2020 Forbes magazine list. The first position has been acquired by the Swiss tennis player Roger Federer for the first time till date as his pre-tax earnings have been calculated to be $106.3 million last year. It is likewise the first time that a tennis player has secured the first rank in the list which is being released every year since 1990.
Around $100 million has been earned by Roger Federer through the endorsements as he has been associated with some highly esteemed brands such as Mercedes-Benz, Credit Suisse, and others. Roger was in the fifth position in the year 2019 while in 2013, he was at the second spot.
Check out the list of Top 10 highest-paid athletes:
1. Roger Federer, Tennis– Earnings $106.3 million
2. Cristiano Ronaldo, Football – Earnings $105 million
3. Lionel Messi – Earnings $104 million
4. Neymar – Earnings $95.5 million
5. LeBron James – Earnings $88.2 million
6. Stephen Curry – Earnings $74.4 million
7. Kevin Durant – Earnings $63.9 million
8. Tiger Woods – Earnings $62.3 million
9. Kirk Cousins – Earnings $60.5 million
10. Carson Wentz – Earnings $59.1 million
Professional football players Cristiano Ronaldo ($105 million) and Lionel Messi ($104 million) are at the second and third spots, respectively. The pay cuts which have been made by the football associations have brought down the earnings of football players which helped Roger Federer in soaring up the ladder.
If we talk about the Indian competitors who have made into this list, it is only the Indian cricket team skipper Virat Kohli who has been able to secure his name in the top 100. Virat Kohli stands at the 66th position with the earning of $26 million out of which around $24 million has been earned through endorsements and $2 million as salary. In 2019, Virat Kohli who is also the skipper of the IPL team Royal Challengers Bangalore was at the 100th spot with $25 million of earnings.